Hinckley Academy... continuing the legacy
|Strengthening our community
through arts and education
This information is from: OnlineUtah.com about
Hinckley Academy/High School:
The old Hinckley Academy located at 55 N. 200 W. in Hinckley, UT (Millard County) was under
construction from ca. 1909 to 1912, the result of private, church and local monetary
contributions. From 1910 to 1923 the building was known as the Millard LDS Academy. From
1923 to 1953, the building served as Hinckley High School. Harold Hepworth and Don Morris,
both graduates of the school have fond memories of days long ago when the Hinckley High
School Mustangs won the State Basketball Championship. Harolds wife Anna Lee points out
that many graduates became notable LDS Church and State leaders. In 1982 the building
was placed on the Utah Historic Register as the Millard Academy.
Over the years the school has been purchased and sold several times and various business
ventures have come and gone. In the mid-1970s the Hinckley Elementary School made use of
the academy building. It even served as a disco around 1978. The disco, called The Total
Eclipse, operated for only about 18 months. In the 1980s, a swimming pool and water slide
were built and soon closed again.
Next to the old academy, to the south at 54 N. 200 W., is the old gym. It too has played several
different roles over the years. It housed the Review Sportswear Inc. where sports clothes were
sewn. Later it became a place where large slabs of rock were polished. It was placed on the
Utah Historic Register in 1985.
There was a time when the building was almost demolished because of its dilapidated state.
However, the current owner, Heinz Lehwalder, who purchased the building in 1997, is starting
to breath new life into the building. His ambitious plans call for complete renovation of the
structure and eventually turning it into an art emporium.
Contributers: Harold and Anna Lee Hepworth, Don Morris and notes from an article by Derin
Phelps "Old Hinckley Academy Building ready for a new birth" March 19, 1998.
G. William Wiersdorf
(We are working with the current owner, Heinz Lehwalder, in purchasing the building so
restoration efforts can continue to go forth! He is excited about our plans and wants our
efforts to be successful. $25,000 is needed to begin this journey and put the Hinckley
Academy in the ownership of the KD Meyers Foundation. If you are willing to help please visit
our Donate page! Thanks!)
History of Hinckley, UT as found on OnlineUtah.com
Hinckley is five miles southwest of Delta. It is a small agricultural community that was
established as an outgrowth of nearby Deseret. In 1877 it was named Bloominton then in
1891 it was renamed Hinckley, honoring Ira N. Hinckley, who was president of the Mormon
Millard Stake at that time.
John W. Van Cott
Hinckley Academy... continuing the legacy
From the Millard Academy "Bugle" yearbook 1923,
Origin and History of the Millard Academy-
Up to the opening of the Millard Stake Academy in 1910, Millard Stake had no local Academy but was
included in the district of the Murdock school at Beaver, President Hinckley felt that this stake needed and
should have an Academy. Accordingly at a general conference held in Fillmore in 1908 the matter was put
before President Joseph F. Smith, who was a visiting speaker. President Smith stated that he could see no
reason why this stake should not have an Academy. The program was worked up and at the following
quarterly conference held in Deseret a special meeting of high councilmen and bishops of the wards and
their counselors was called to decide the location for the new Institution.
Holden and Fillmore were very eager for the church school, and both towns sent speakers to represent them
in the session that was to decide the location. Judge Greenwood of Fillmore gave a brilliant speech outlining
reasons why the Academy should be located in Fillmore. Bishop Anthony Stephenson of Holden also
delivered a well prepared speech, showing Holden to be centrally located and giving other reasons why his
ward should be the seat of the Academy.
Hinckley had not been thought of as the location for the Academy until just before the meeting President
Hinckley asked Brother John Reeve to represent Hinckley, which he did in a short extemporaneous talk.
After the matter had been discussed for some time a vote was called but neither faction, Fillmore, Holden or
Hinckley had the necessary majority to decide the location. The subject was again talked of for a short time
but before the second vote was called Brother Johnson of Holden arose and made a speech in which he
described Hinckley as the best place for the church school. Afterwards when asked why he did it. Brother
Johnson replied that he did not know but that he had felt inspired to do so. At the second vote Holden joined
the forces voting for Hinckley to be the site for the Millard Stake Academy.
Each town was alloted an assessment and construction on the building was began immediately. Joseph W.
Blake furnished the ground for the building and the campus and help was received for all parts of the county.
Thus the Millard Academy first opened its doors in 1910, and for thirteen years she has flourished in success.
Yes for thirteen years she has gathered the youth of Millard within her walls and trained them in knowledge
and belief. She has fired their ambition, deepened their thought, uplifted their ideals, and strengthened their
characters by giving them a firmer faith in God. And now after thirteen years she fades away and leaves us
with only our memories to remind us of her glory. But her influence will never die. It will live on, reaching
continually outward to raise the standards of humanity and aid civilization in her march onward.
As sons and daughters of the Millard Academy, may our happy memories of her never die. May we never say
one word or do a thing that will mar her glory but may our last prayer to God be that we shall keep her name
as pure and white as the snow from heaven and that we shall sail forever toward that goal which she has